martes, 11 de febrero de 2014

TRINITY ORAL EXAM PRACTICE


Tape script of Listening Comprehension.

 

Listening 3 – Jamie & Betty

Tapescript

 

Jamie Jones

Jamie Jones is a football fan. He can watch football matches on television for hours on end. He could play football himself when he was a little boy, but now he cannot train any more because he is too fat. He might go on a diet some day, maybe if he moves to Australia with his dad, and then he will be able to get back into sports.

At the age of ten, Manchester United were interested in his playing for them, but Jamie failed the trials and couldn’t get into the team. He must have been very upset then; however, his father was able to convince him that watching football from home was less tiring and that he should buy a large TV set, so that is what he did and he has been a couch potato ever since.

 

Betty Jones

Betty Jones is the Joneses’ daughter. She is twenty-six years old and she can cook, sew, make the beds and read bedtime stories. She could have studied at her father’s university but she didn’t want to. So now she can only help her mum with the housework. She could go to university next year, when her father retires, but she might not be able to go to Australia with him, because she has to earn some money for that and she can’t find a job. She'd better hurry up and try hard, or she will be left behind.





Tape script of Listening Comprehension.
 
Holidays in Spain
Jackie: Richard and I have come back from two weeks in Spain and we had a super-time, didn’t we, Richard?
Richard: We did, fantastic!
Jackie: So, what did you like most of all about the country?
Richard: Food…I really really like the food, the Spanish food was great.
Jackie: Why did you like the food so much?
Richard: Well, we ate a lot of “tapas”, just a very small snack, snack-type food that you’ve got in the bars. And, specially, my favourite was the small fish in vinegar, that … they were absolutely delicious. What about you Jackie?
Jackie: Ehm, we went down to Andalucia and I think for me it coming across unexpected “Fiestas”, unexpected parties.
Richard: Yes
Jackie: We would be walking along the road and then, suddenly, there would be a girl all dressed up sitting on a horse and two big bulls pulling some decorated cart, suddenly lots of singing, lots of clapping…
Richard: That was great, it was so unexpected and we had one day in Seville, which was quite interesting, wasn’t it?
Jackie: Yes, we went for a walk, didn’t we? Passing lots and lots of churches, and outside every church there was a wedding.
Richard: There was, and then we got to one of the most famous churches in Seville, we were in there taking a couple of photos and we realised they were just about to have a wedding there.
Jackie: And we stayed in the church, we didn’t want to go outside because it was a bit not very nice, the weather. So we stayed in the church and we watched the wedding, which was very nice.
Richard: And, then, following that, we went into other churches and we joined other weddings as well, so it was great?
Jackie: So, was there anything that surprised you Richard about Spain?
Richard: Yes, I must admit from almost the first minute I arrived in Madrid, everything seemed small… and the streets were very narrow…
Jackie: But… I was disappointed with the Graffiti, Richard, there was a lot of Graffiti on the walls, on the doors. There were some beautiful buildings in Spain and it was very disappointing to see so much Graffiti everywhere. So Richard, what would you say was the highlight of the trip?
Richard: I think the absolute highlight was my first view of the Alhambra in Granada, to see that old Islamic Palace was absolutely amazing.
Jackie: Thanks Richard
Richard: Bye



Tape script of Listening Comprehension.

(Adapted from “Talk about” Podcast. British Council Learn English .)

 

 

LEARNING LANGUAGES

 

 

            I’ve lived in many different countries, both in Western Europe, Middle East, and now here in Hong Kong. Before I came to Hong Kong, I lived in Barcelona Spain for ten years.  And when I first arrived, the most important thing was being able to communicate with people locally.  I don’t attend classes.  I don’t think I’m particularly good in classes. I prefer to learn by just talking to people, finding out what I need to say by looking at dictionaries and listening carefully.

            Other things that helped me, when I first moved to Spain,  were watching the typical kinds of programs we see everyday on channels around the world.  For example the weather.  This is great, because they always say the same things.  So you can really quickly hear the same words repeated again and again.  And the pictures helped of course.

            Other types of program that helped me learned Spanish quickly were things like game shows, where the same thing happens.  They have a catchphrase or a slogan that they repeat endlessly when contestants win or when they are called to compete.

            As well as that, I used to pick up the Spanish newspapers.  First of all, I just accepted that there was no way I was going to understand anything but one or two words.  But gradually, I found that I learned lots of new things about this.  I was interested because I wanted to know what was happening in the country I lived in.  But, I also knew that I could learn a lot of language this way.  So I'd take a dictionary with me sometimes, or I'd notice a word and I'd ask other people… what it meant.

            Anyway, by far the best practice I ever had was just talking to people in the street, or in shops where I'd rehearse in my head what I wanted to say beforehand, before I went in.  Usually, I'd make a right mess of it first of all, but, after you get over the embarrassment, it’s quite funny really.  And people are very sympathetic and supporting in most cases.

           


Tape script of Listening Comprehension.

(Adapted from Elementary Podcast  Series. British Council Learn English .)

 

 

 SHAKIRA

 

 

                I’d like to meet Shakira. She’s a singer – and a dancer too – she’s from Colombia and she sings in Spanish and English.

            First, I think she’s a fantastic singer. I just fell in love with her voice the first time I heard her sing. It’s so different. And then, … she writes her own songs – she wrote her first song when she was only eight I think. I love singing and I write my own songs too, so I understand how difficult it is – and I’d love to sit down with her and write a song together. I’m sure she could teach me a lot.

            In the beginning she wrote songs and sang in Spanish, and she was very famous in Latin America, but she didn’t speak English, so she had to learn it. And I think she learnt it really well. I admire her because she didn’t just translate her old songs from Spanish to English – she wrote new ones in English. It isn’t easy to write songs in a foreign language, but her words are great I think. She still sings in Spanish too – she records two versions of her songs, one in English and one in Spanish.

            Another reason I like her is because she’s a mixture of different cultures, and that makes her music interesting. Her mother is from Colombia but her father is Lebanese, so there’s a lot of Arabic influence in her music – and not only Arabic – there’s Indian, Brazilian, Iranian - she’s interested in all sorts of music.            

            And I think she’s a nice person too. Her videos are very, well you know, sexy, but I don’t think she’s really like that – she’s got four dogs and she likes working in her garden, and she doesn’t drink alcohol and she doesn’t smoke.

            I’d like to ask her about how she writes her songs. And I’d like her to teach me how to dance. She’s an incredible dancer.







Tape script of Listening Comprehension.

(Adapted from Elementary Podcast  Series. British Council Learn English .)

 

WOMEN’S FOOTBALL

 

 

Presenter: “Why don’t more people watch women’s football’? Let’s listen to the answers.”

 

Female voice 1: “I think it’s just traditional in a lot of countries that football is a man’s game. I used to play ‘football’ – we call it soccer - at home in the States actually. It’s really big there - girls and boys play together at school. There are about 7 million women who play regularly in the States. I think it’s because your football is quite new as a sport in the States so we don’t really see it as a man’s game – we don’t have the same tradition. It’s a game for everybody.”

 

Female voice 2: “I love watching women’s football. I play at school, lots of girls do. My mum says I’m football crazy. I’m in the school team and I want to play professionally one day. Girls play better than boys – they don’t lie down on the ground and cry and pretend they’re hurt and they don’t argue with the referee all the time. And they aren’t violent, they don’t try to hurt each other.”

 

Male voice 1: “People don’t watch it because they don’t know about it. Lots of girls and women play football nowadays – the problem is getting people to pay to watch it. We need to take women’s football more seriously, we need advertising and companies to sponsor games and teams, we need a proper professional women’s league with good pay and conditions, we need to see more games on television, then people might be more interested.”

 

Male voice 2: “People don’t watch it because it isn’t very good – it’s as simple as that. I’ve watched some women’s football, and to be honest, they don’t play very well. They’re slower than men - they aren’t as good technically, the games are boring. Men’s football is good to watch, women’s isn’t. Maybe that‘ll change in the future, but at the moment, well, I certainly don’t want to watch it.”







0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario